Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Isaiah 22:4


That is why I have said: “Turn your gaze away from me. I will show bitterness in weeping. Do not you people insist on comforting me over the despoiling of the daughter of my people."  -- Isaiah 22:4, New World Translation

In Isaiah 22:4, the people of Jerusalem were rejoicing, but Isaiah's pain was deep because of the prospect of the disaster coming on the inhabitants of Jerusalem. They are referred to as "the daughter of my people," showing the close bond that Isaiah felt with them. Deep grief seeks to be alone, so while they feast joyously, Isaiah mourns. As the verse shows, Isaiah doesn't want their curiosity or sympathy because he saw the reality of the spiritual situation.

We today may bitterly mourn when seeing close loved ones who are so out of touch with spiritually. Their attempt to comfort us, and say "everything is all right" is in vain, because we don't see and feel the same way they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment